Wednesday, August 27, 2008

an interesting event

It's 3.30pm right now and I just got back from the Dior luncheon event at Modesto's at Tao. The foods served were scrumptious! I had lamb shank for the main course and they served tiramisu for dessert... I wonder whether they made it with alcohol? Cause I do feel a bit weird... Does alcohol consumption give you a headache?
Ok I'm not going to talk about the foods and the lunch. The interesting part about the event was that there were only a few people invited.. and well, i was very excited that of all people in NST, the PR invited me instead!
Of course, I felt like an outcast at first cause everyone was either an editor of a magazine or, a journalist over 10 years.. But nevertheless, they all included me in all of their conversations.

So here I'm going to talk about the interesting conversation that they all brought up..
The highlight of the day was about politics! How Anwar won double than Arif Shah. So they talked about how high his votes were than his wife and all that... Then the editor of Magazine World, Margaret, turned her head towards me and asked,
"Elena, since you're younger, what do you think about politics?"

Hah! Politics schmolitics! I wish I had said...

But I said, "I'm actually confused"

She agreed, and said "I'm confused too. I don't know who is telling the truth."
So the people who were following the conversation, gave a little nod to agree with it.

Just to do a bit of a rewind on other topics that were brought up, Margaret asked me why I chose to do a degree in Journalism.. "Do you like writing?"
I replied, "yes." I paused. "I did a diploma in Mass Communication and decided to do journalism right after." Then one of the PR for Christian Dior said "I did a degree in Journalism abroad as well."
Then they started to talk about the pay.. How journalist gets paid very little. (True *shrugs*)
And the PR said "My lecturer used to tell me that! If you're thinking of getting a high pay. Leave now."
When they mentioned about that, I didn't say a word. Cause I'm not even done with my degree yet.. But they don't know that... I kind of told them that I've just graduated. I had to do that to certain events cause I don't want them to feel that NST sent someone who's merely a journalist. So yeah, I'm going to have to repent for this sin.

Oh Margaret gave me her card and told me to ask my friends who wants to work with her. Not as a journalist though. Managing the company and all that... Sounds interesting... I wonder how much will they pay?

Becoming a journalist is all about passion for writing and not to expect high pay. Remember Elena! Remember! D'oh!

No comments: