Friday, August 22, 2008

a month to go

Today is August 27... In a month I'll be leaving the NST - Life & Times desk. The past 3 month has been a wonderful experience for me. I had a negative perception towards it before I started. I always thought that internship - honestly, sucks. That was BEFORE. Before I stepped into the L&T world. Now I'm loving it so much that I'm wishing that I can ask for an extend... I want to work... I want to write... I just love it! It's rather unfair for the 'old syllabus' students have to do their practical training during the 5th semester while the new ones get to do during their last semester. I often hear that they get to work there permenantly right after the internship. How about me and the rest 'oldies'? We have to study for another semester and reapply for work. By then, would the newspaper industry remember us? Yes, maybe... but then again, we have to reapply again. Darn..

The positive thing about this though is that I can think thoroughly what I want to be. I wanted to be SO MANY things eversince I was little. Perhaps everything! I'll list down just a few top ones..
1) archaeologist 2) scientist 3) gymnastic coach (yeah..) 4) even wanita UMNO (i don't know how that came up) 5) english teacher 6) kindergarten teacher 7) businesswoman.... and the list goes on and on up to university. The latest are : 1) Diplomat/Ambassador 2) Lecturer 3) Journalist (specifically: Life & Times). No wonder my dad used to call me "hangat-hangat tahi ayam"..

The clock indicates that it is 5.30pm. In half an hour, I can leave back home. My editor has been very busy this whole week. The other journalists are working their head's off on the Merdeka section. I was asked to give out ideas as well.. but I couldn't think of any during the meeting. But of course, interns didn't have to be involve in it so I chose not to and gave some space to the experts. I definitely admire my editor. She's.... actually it's hard to describe her character but she's kind. If I do minor screw-ups in my writings such as not elaborating enough on a particular thing, she would call me very nicely and speak to me in a low and soft tone. She's not the kind of editor who yells and embarrasses you in front of the others. Sometimes, you can't even hear her speak to other journalists when she calls them for correction although she sits just behind me. She's gone for a meeting by the way, that explains me babbling nonsense in this blog.

Oh wait... the other L&T journalists are all gone. I think they've gone off home. Hmm...shall I make a move? Besides, I've finished writing the 2 articles that I was supposed to pass up next week. Maybe in another 10 minutes...

Oh, the airconditioning is off by the way. For the first time, it went off just a few minutes ago. There was a fire alarm (not a loud one though) and me and a new journalist from 3 rows in front of me exchanged glances and quizzed on the alarm. Kindly, Santha - the editor for the political features, explained to me that after the alarm, there will be a large sound (like the sound of a fan) and followed by the off-ing of the aircond.

I'm going to go read dailymail.co.uk a bit more and go back home.. I was asked to enterntain a step cousin of mine from London. I promised her yesterday over BBQ that I would bring her out tonight.. she hasn't watched batman so maybe i'll just bring her for that. The only show that is available though is at 12.30am... damn. But nevermind... :-)

1 comment:

Unknown said...

bagus blogger, bagus! betol2 ho liao!